The EGNOS Data Access Service (EDAS) is a terrestrial commercial service offering ground-based access to EGNOS data?through the Internet on controlled?access basis. Geared to users requiring enhanced performance for professional use, EDAS provides users with the same data broadcast by the EGNOS satellites (EGNOS Message) in near real-time. In other words, with EDAS, you can plug into EGNOS to receive the data collected, generated and delivered by Europe’s first satellite navigation system. EDAS therefore provides the opportunity for service providers to deliver EGNOS data to users who cannot always view EGNOS satellites (such as in urban canyons) or to support a variety of other value added services, applications and research programmes.
EDAS primarily provides the following data types:
- Raw GPS, GLONASS and EGNOS geostationary satellite observations and navigation data collected by the entire network of Ranging and Integrity Monitoring Stations (RIMS) and Navigation Land Earth Stations (NLES);
- EGNOS augmentation messages, as normally received by users via the EGNOS Geostationary satellites.
Data is provided to EDAS users upon registration. Once registered, one can essentially plug into EGNOS and receive all its collected and generated data.
The EDAS service is of particular interest to service providers supplying EGNOS data to end-users who are not always in view of EGNOS satellites (such as in urban canyons). Specific advantages include:
- Reliability and assurance: the EGNOS Safety-of-Life service, which requires a highly reliable and resilient infrastructure, serves as the basis of EDAS;
- Data delivery: EGNOS data is provided in real-time through a standard internet connection or direct fixed-line;
- Data content: EDAS not only provides EGNOS broadcast data, but the raw data from RIMS, along with satellite status messages;
- European and North African coverage: EDAS data is sourced from the 34 EGNOS RIMS, generating unique GNSS datasets from Europe and North Africa;
- Commercial contracts: in the future, EDAS can be provided to service providers on a long-term basis with reliable performance levels.